Discussions related to the end times and Bible prophecy.

Preterism?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preterism?

Thoughts?

Personally, as with several biblical topics (Hell, The whole "tongues" thing, ect...) I'm not quite sure. Though, I do heavily lean to the preterist side of things. And think it sounds more likely.

Preterism is the belief that the prophecies of the future were fulfilled during the lifetimes of the apostles; futurism is the belief that the fulfillment of prophecy is still in the future. Have you ever considered the possibility that both views are true? The well known prophecy of Isaiah 7:14 that a virgin would conceive and bear a child is quoted in the Bible as referring to the birth of Christ, but have you ever looked at the context in which it was made?
    Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. He shall eat curds and honey when he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good. For before the boy knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good, the land whose two kings you dread will be deserted.
    (Isaiah 7:14-16 ESV)
    It was also a sign to King Ahaz that the enemies he feared would soon be destroyed. It had two fulfillments, one near and one far in the future. Perhaps the same thing is true of other Bible prophecies. It could be that preterism and futurism are not two different ways of interpreting prophecy but two parts of the total interpretation. Here is a more detailed explanation of what I mean:

The whole truth? | clydeherrin
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

I think theophilus has a good point about recognizing that both perspectives can be true; heaps of prophecy was fulfilled in Jesus' and the apostles' day, but there's also heaps that hasn't.

When you listen to the explanations preterists give for prophecy from the Revelation already being fulfilled, it's usually a series of random events throughout history, but the Revelation isn't like that at all. The events all relate to one another to make up a bigger picture which is consistent. For example, Daniel talks about a final 7 year period in which an agreement for animal sacrifices are resumed (which can only happen in the temple), but in the middle of that "week" something terrible happens.

The Revelation also talks about the same period of time in years, months, and days (i.e. 3.5 years, 42 months, and 1260 days, probably so that it would be more difficult to obscure this time line) in which various events happen. This period of time just happens to correspond with the same period of time Daniel referenced in a few different places and which Jesus described in Matthew 24 when he referenced Daniel and the Great Tribulation. It's all connected.
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap